Everyone should have a bucket list, I think — that list of essential things one must do in one’s lifetime. It can be specific — related to one area of your life, like writing — or it can be about everything. And I think it should be never ending. Hopefully life is interesting enough that once you cross things off your bucket list there are more you want to add.
I just got finished reading Dana Sitar‘s A Writer’s Bucket List, and I quite liked it. I decided to participate in the Bucket List Challenge Blog Hop — that is, I’m challenging myself to cross some things off my bucket list this year.
Not everything on this list will be writing-specific. In fact, possibly most of it won’t. I have a lot of writing-related things on my bucket list, but many of them are more long-term. For this year I have other, shorter-term bucket list goals I can tackle.
your lovable angry favourite furry monster pal crazed, whiskey-driven penmonkey Katje is going to cross of zir bucket list in 2013
- Learn how to bake bread. This is something I’ve wanted to do for a long time now, and I’ve decided 2013 is the year for it. It’s my hope that once I know the ins and outs of baking bread with wheat flour, I’ll be able to find or create the perfect gluten-free bread recipe. (Someday, I will make a GF loaf of bread that will fool even Mr. Katje.)
- Co-write a book with my mom. Specifically, a cookbook of gluten-free traditional Dutch recipes. We’re going to spend this year developing the recipes — finding that exact right mix of ingredients to create the perfect GF ontbijtkoek, for example, or speculoos. (I’m a koek-junkie. Can’t get enough of the stuff. If we can find a way to make it GF and just as delicious as normal? My life will turn into unicorns and rainbows.)
- Knit a sweater. With or without a pattern. Patterns are my bane, but I’ve always wanted to knit a sweater. I’ve been working on one for several months now, and this year I’m going to finish it. And possibly post pictures of the
wonderful horribleadequate outcome. On me, even. Assuming it fits.
- Finish my first/Bachelor’s degree. So, this was supposed to have happened already…last week, to be specific. It didn’t, and if you’ve been reading my blog this past month you know why. Anyway, I’m working to fix that now, so getting that first degree is still on the bucket list — and it’s definitely on 2013’s list.
- Put together a Story Bible for Bellica and The Jade Star of Athering. I really need to sit down and do this now-ish, while I’m working on The Jade Star and not after it’s long-done and I don’t want to look at it any more. (I love Bellica, but man, after a million+ edits and ebook formats, I get to a point where my brain is screaming CAN WE JUST MOVE ON ALREADY?) I should do this for Stranger Skies this year, too, come to think of it — but the Bellica / Jade Star one takes precedence at the moment.
I think 5 is enough for one year. It’s already promising to be a very busy…eleven months, now, so I’m going to try and not overload myself too much. I’d rather make a few commitments I can keep than make too many and have to de-commit, or miss deadline. (There are no unrealistic goals, only unrealistic timelines — even so, I hate missing a deadline.)
So, what about you, dear readers? What are you going to cross off your bucket list this year? Leave a comment below and share your goals with the world! insert maniacal laugh Wait, how did that get there? Move along, nothing to see here…
certainly no maniacal laughter because of my secret plan to eat your delicious goals like the Nothing eats dreams and fantasies, or however that worked, it’s been years since I saw that movie. Anyway, I’m sure you have a bucket list, so why not get galvanized to crossing some stuff off it this year?
Also, don’t forget to check out Dana’s new book (which is actually a package of book + workbooks, so that’s pretty awesome), especially between now and the 12th — she’s having a special sale for Launch Week.