I was recovering from the cold from hell, but today my health has taken a nose-dive again. I am now the Plague Cat, and I demand
snuggles chicken noodle soup. (I do demand snuggles, but only from the Ogre.)
So I thought I’d do a brief counting of the good things that happened to me this year, seeing as 2013 ends tomorrow. (AUGH.)
Overall 2013 wasn’t a really great year for me — I’m still struggling financially and honestly, that sort of badness makes everything else suck a lot more. I had a lot of plans this year that didn’t happen, because the year started with a bang that put me in the hole, financially, and I haven’t been able to crawl out. (I ended 2012 doing pretty well, and at the end of last year those plans looked possible.)
However, I don’t want to focus on the bad. I want to focus on the good, and work towards making 2014 much better. With that in mind, here is my list of pretty cool/awesome things that happened this year.
- Finished my second novel. In January, I finished the first draft of my second book, Stranger Skies. It’s now been published in ebook form, and we’re working on getting the print books out the door.
- Got engaged to the love of my life. Yeah, the Ogre and I made it official — the same weekend I finished Stranger Skies, actually. That was a good weekend.
- Finished the first draft of my third novel. The Jade Star of Athering is still in rewrites and edits, so it’s not really finished. But the first draft — the skeleton of the story — is complete, and I do expect to finish it and publish it in 2014.
- Got nominated for an award. Bellica, my first novel, got nominated for a James Tiptree, Jr. Award. Review copies have been sent off to the judges and I wait anxiously to hear if I make the honor list. Regardless what happens — this is a HUGE deal.
- I finished my last course at VIU and will be graduating in January. This was supposed to happen last year, and I was supposed to graduate in January 2013 — but it didn’t, and I had to take an extra course. I’m counting it as a good thing, even though it pissed me off, because I’ll be done with my BA very soon.
- Thanks to the generosity of friends, I was able to raise the funds to put through the paperwork on my change of name. I don’t think it’ll be done in time for graduation, which was my deadline, but that’s okay — I can get the degree re-printed if need be, and soon enough my real name will become my legal name.
Tomorrow, I’ll post my list of goals/resolutions/whathaveyous that will make 2014 a much better year for me.
PS: Those of you waiting for a new episode/chapter of Fifty Shades of Drinking, I’m sorry, it’ll be a bit longer than I anticipated. I was going to get one done after Christmas but I have been far too ill to tackle it. Likely the next episode will be posted early January. Thanks for your patience and understanding.